Catalysing responsive and inclusive governance: developing theory and methods for evaluating government training on citizen engagement
Programme of work
Enhancing evidence transferability
Mercy Corps Europe
Harvard Kennedy School
January 2020 to December 2020 (TBC)
Myanmar and Jordan
This is an exploratory study that focuses on identifying the assumptions and causal mechanisms in a specific type of intervention: training for government officials on community engagement.
The study will draw on:
- Systematic reviews of evidence;
- Theory-building case studies of the Myanmar and Jordan programmes;
- Mini-case studies of other government training interventions;
- Piloting intervention variations and measurement tools; and
- Cross-country reflection and learning workshops.
The study will draw on case studies of similar government training programmes that Mercy Corps implements.
The study will provide insights on whether and how capacity building of government officials can promote a conversation about locally relevant needs and interests. It can help decision-makers identify the types of training programmes that are likely to shape behaviours and outcomes related to governance.